This course was created with Adobe Flash technology. Since this technology is no longer supported by modern internet browsers, the online version was removed. The downloadable version and content of the course (text only) are still available. In order to access them, please read the instructions in the System requirements section below.
The course provides guidance on how to design and implement a communication strategy for food security information. Using several realistic examples, the course illustrates the various components of a communication strategy, and provides concrete and detailed guidelines on how to communicate through the media and present information to policymakers in order to influence the policymaking process.
The target audience of the e-learning course includes:
- Mid-level managers, technical staff, field personnel who are involved in the collection, management, analysis, and reporting of food security information.
- Planners, policy formulators and programme managers who are involved in monitoring progress in poverty reduction, and meeting food security goals and targets.
- Identification and analysis of the audiences
- Definition of the communication objectives and messages
- Selecting channels for presenting your information
- Approaching the media
- Techniques for working with the media
- Presenting information to policymakers
- Preparing policy briefs
- Meeting policymakers
The course consists of 10 lessons, ranging from approximately 30 to 75 minutes duration each, grouped into three units:Unit 1 - Designing your communication strategy
- Lesson 1.1 - Identify and analyse your audiences
- Lesson 1.2 - Define communication objectives and messages
- Lesson 1.3 - Selecting channels for presenting your information
- Lesson 1.4 - Plan and evaluate your communication activities
- Lesson 2.1 - Approaching the media
- Lesson 2.2 - Techniques for working with the media
- Lesson 3.1 - Presenting information to policymakers
- Lesson 3.2 - Lobbying for food security
- Lesson 3.3 - Preparing policy briefs
- Lesson 3.4 - Meeting policymakers
The interactive version of the course is available as a downloadable package and only runs on Windows PC’s and doesn't require any additional software. Please read the following instructions.
The content of the course is also available in text format (pdf).
Evaluate this course
We would be pleased to receive your evaluation of this course, to support us in improving future e-learning courses. Please click on the button below to answer the six questions in the form. It should take few minutes!