This course is meant to enable development and communication professionals to design and implement rural communication strategies combining participatory methods with communication processes, media and tools best suited for a specific situation.
The course primarily addresses field workers, community leaders, development and communication professionals who need to enhance their skills in designing and implementing participatory communication strategies and services. It also provides practical orientation for managers who wish to include communication activities in agricultural and rural development programmes.
- Identifying the phases and steps in communication planning for development
- Conducting situational analysis and participatory communication appraisal in the field
- Developing a workable communication strategy and plan of action
- Facilitating multistakeholder dialogue and collaboration to successfully implement ComDev activities
- Designing, pre-testing, producing and using multimedia ComDev materials
- Assessing the results of ComDev initiatives and promoting long-term sustainability
- Understanding ComDev as it applies to agriculture and rural development issues
The course consists of 11 lessons, ranging from approximately 15 to 50 minutes duration each, grouped into three units:Unit 1 - Introduction to ComDev planning for agricultural and rural development
- Lesson 1.1 – What is ComDev
- Lesson 1.2 – Principles and applications of ComDev
- Lesson 1.3 – The ComDev Process
- Lesson 1.4 – Integrating ComDev in project design
- Lesson 2.1 – The situation analysis
- Lesson 2.2 – The Participatory Rural Communication Appraisal
- Lesson 2.3 – Participatory communication strategy design
- Lesson 2.4 – Planning and monitoring ComDev activitie
- Lesson 3.1 - Implementing the ComDev plan at local level
- Lesson 3.2 - Developing ComDev materials
- Lesson 3.3 - Implementing ComDev activities in the field
The online version of this course runs on the latest versions of the major browsers, such as Chrome, Safari, Edge and Firefox.
The downloadable version only runs on Windows PC’s and no additional software is needed.
Evaluate this course
We would be pleased to receive your evaluation of this course, to support us in improving future e-learning courses. Please click on the button below to answer the questions in the form. It should only take you a few minutes!