This course focuses on Sustainable Land Management (SLM) practices, and their place within the global development agenda, specifically in order to achieve target 15.3 of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which aims "to achieve a land degradation-neutral world". The course assists policy makers, practitioners and land users in the selection, planning, implementation and monitoring of SLM interventions, and related enabling environment.
This course addresses the subject matter from a technical perspective, but is written for the general public. Individuals who would especially benefit the most from taking the course include:
- Local or national policy makers
- Land and water management technicians
- Extension agents and agronomists
- Farmers and land users
- Basic definitions and principles of land management, degradation and restoration
- The participatory SLM land use planning approach
- SLM tools and methods (WOCAT global network, the Economics of Land Degradation (ELD) initiative and their 6+1 approach)
- The use of financial and non-financial incentives for an enabling environment, to overcome barriers and encourage SLM adoption and uptake
- SLM in the context of the global policy agenda, specifically SDG goal 15
- The concept of Land Degradation Neutrality (LDN)
The course consists of 5 lessons, ranging from approximately 35 to 50 minutes duration each:
- Lesson 1 – Introduction to Sustainable Land Management and land restoration: basic principles
- Lesson 2 – Planning implementation of SLM interventions
- Lesson 3 – Tools of implementation of sustainable land management
- Lesson 4 – Incentives for transition to SLM
- Lesson 5 – Monitoring SLM success
The online version of this course runs on the latest versions of the major browsers, such as Chrome, Safari, Edge and Firefox.
The downloadable version only runs on Windows PC’s and no additional software is needed.
Evaluate this course
We would be pleased to receive your evaluation of this course, to support us in improving future e-learning courses. Please click on the button below to answer the six questions in the form. It should take few minutes!