This course provides guidance to government authorities engaged in investment promotion, approval, and monitoring activities at all stages of the agricultural landbased investment cycle. Based on the Voluntary Guidelines on the Responsible Governance of Tenure (VGGT) for land, fisheries and forests, the course provides technical guidance on how to safeguard tenure rights, human rights, food security and the environment in the context of such investments.
The course is designed primarily for government authorities involved in the promotion, approval, and monitoring of agricultural investments. The primary focus of the course is on helping those officials to fulfill their role of attracting and facilitating investments that further national development goals (e.g. safeguarding tenure and contributing to food security and nutrition).
- The basic principles of responsible investments in agriculture including the main actors and their responsibilities as set forth in the VGGT
- Negative impact of irresponsible investments on tenure rights
- All steps in a process for the approval of responsible investments
- Appropriate monitoring for the duration of the investment
The course consists of 7 lessons, ranging from approximately 25 to 75 minutes duration each:
- Lesson 1 – Why responsible agricultural investment?
- Lesson 2 – Who plays a role?
- Lesson 3 – How agricultural investment can harm tenure rights
- Lesson 4 – Creating an enabling environment for responsible investment
- Lesson 5 – The investment approval process
- Lesson 6 – Investment monitoring
- Lesson 7 – From knowledge to action
The online version of this course runs on the latest versions of the major browsers, such as Chrome, Safari, Edge and Firefox.
The downloadable version only runs on Windows PC’s and no additional software is needed.
Evaluate this course
We would be pleased to receive your evaluation of this course, to support us in improving future e-learning courses. Please click on the button below to answer the questions in the form. It should only take you a few minutes!