In the context of reporting on the SDG Indicator 2.1.2, this course introduces the Food Insecurity Experience Scale (FIES) and explains how it can be used to measure food security. The course provides guidance on the collection and analysis of data, and on how the information provided by the FIES can be used to inform and guide policy.
The target audience of this course includes:
- Data analysts responsible for working with data to report on SDG Indicator 2.1.2
- National statistics officers responsible for planning and implementing data collection and reporting for SDG Indicator 2.1.2
- Director level staff responsible for reporting on this SDG Indicator
- Policy makers who may use the reported data to inform decisions
- Experience-based food security measurement, and its role in the SDGs
- How FIES can be included as a module within a range of national level surveys
- Basic statistical concepts upon which the FIES is based (especially the Rasch model)
- Interpretation of Rasch model outputs and use of FAO Excel template
- Effective communication of results to different audiences
The course consists of 5 lessons, ranging from approximately 25 to 60 minutes duration each:
- Lesson 1 – Introduction to the Food Insecurity Experience Scale
- Lesson 2 – Including FIES in a survey
- Lesson 3 – Statistical validation of FIES data
- Lesson 4 – Using the FIES data to calculate food insecurity prevalence rates
- Lesson 5 – Using the FIES to make a difference: presentation and communication of results
The online version of this course runs on the latest versions of the major browsers, such as Chrome, Safari, Edge and Firefox.
The downloadable version only runs on Windows PC’s and no additional software is needed.
This course offers certification. You will get your digital badge upon passing a final exam after completing the course and achieve a grade of at least 75%. please click on the button below to complete the exam, or refer to our Certification section to learn more.
Evaluate this course
We would be pleased to receive your evaluation of this course, to support us in improving future e-learning courses. Please click on the button below to answer the six questions in the form. It should take few minutes!