This course has been developed to support countries in the analysis and reporting for SDG Indicators 2.5.1 and 2.5.2. These indicators measure the achievement of SDG target 2.5, which focuses on maintaining genetic diversity of seeds, cultivated plants and farmed and domesticated animals and their related wild species. The course illustrates the fundamental concepts upon which the methodology is based.
The online version of this course runs on the latest versions of the major browsers, such as Chrome, Safari, Edge and Firefox.
The downloadable version only runs on Windows PC’s and no additional software is needed.
This course is primarily intended for those who play a role in data collection, analysis and reporting for the SDG Indicators 2.5.1 and 2.5.2 (Plant and Animal Genetic Resources), as well as for people with an interest in the process, including:
- Policy makers or advisors
- National coordinators/ focal points for animal or plant genetic resources
- Data analysts
You will learn about
- Understanding the concept of genetic resources for food and agriculture, how to conserve these resources and the main threats to plant and animal diversity
- Discusses how to monitor, conserve and report on plant genetic resources, as well as how to interpret SDG Indicator 2.5.1 from WIEWS
- Discusses how to monitor, conserve and report on animal genetic resources, as well as how to interpret SDG Indicators 2.5.1 and 2.5.2 from DAD-IS
The course consists of 7 lessons, ranging from approximately 25 to 75 minutes duration each:
- Lesson 1 – Introduction to plant and animal genetic resources
- Lesson 2 – Plant genetic diversity for food and agriculture
- Lesson 3 – Monitoring plant genetic resources in genebanks
- Lesson 4 – Interpreting and communicating results on plant genetic resources
- Lesson 5 – Animal genetic diversity for food and agriculture
- Lesson 6 – Gathering information and data on animal genetic resources
- Lesson 7 – Interpreting and communicating results on animal genetic resources
Digital Badge Certification
To be granted a digital certification from the FAO elearning Academy, you will have to take the final evaluation exam after you’ve finished a course.
Our digital badge certifications verify that you have achieved the learning outcomes and competencies outlined in FAO e-learning courses.
Please click the link below to start the test: