Knowing how policies influence prices at different stages of the value chain, such as at producer, wholesale and retail level, is fundamental to determine if changes in policy are needed to encourage production or ensure food security.
Through price incentives indicators, we can monitor the effects of agricultural policies to see whether they incentivise - or disincentivise - farmers or traders to produce or market an agricultural commodity.
This course explains how to produce these indicators, what data you need and how to calculate and analyse them in order to shape and optimise public policy for agri-food systems transformation.
This course is designed for you if you work in agricultural policy and development. The course is particularly interesting for:
- Government officials, in particular, economists, policy analysts or researchers in ministries of agriculture, finance or trade.
- Non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
- FAO staff
- University students/academia
- Monitor the effects of policies on domestic prices in agricultural value chains
- Calculate and analyse price incentive indicators for your country and commodities
- Use your indicators to recommend changes in pricing policy
The course consists of 9 lessons, ranging from approximately 15-60 minutes duration each:
- Lesson 1 - Introduction to MAFAP
- Lesson 2 - Overview of food and agricultural policies
- Lesson 3 - Introduction to Price Incentives Indicators
- Lesson 4 - Criteria for selecting commodities and value chain context
- Lesson 5 - Data needs and sources for Price Incentive Indicators
- Lesson 6 - Calculating Price Incentives Indicators
- Lesson 7 - Overview of Access Costs Gap and the Market Development Gap
- Lesson 8 - Calculating Aggregate Indicators for group of commodities
- Lesson 9 - Interpreting Price Incentives Indicators
The online version of this course runs on the latest versions of the major browsers, such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox and Apple Safari.
The downloadable version only runs on Windows PC’s and no additional software is needed.
This course offers certification. You will get your digital badge upon passing a final exam after completing the course and achieving a grade of at least 75%. Please click on the button below to complete the exam, or refer to our Certification section to learn more.
Evaluate this course
We would be pleased to receive your evaluation of this course, to support us in improving future e-learning courses. Please click on the button below to answer the questions in the form. It should only take you a few minutes!