This two-lesson course focuses on the impact of climate change on rural livelihoods and how climate change and variability interact with other factors to drive migration. It considers the conditions necessary for migration to be an adaptation strategy to climate change that can ultimately strengthen resilience, so that migration is a choice not a necessity.
Individuals who would especially benefit from taking the course include:
- UN Country Teams and FAO Staff
- Planners, policy formulators and advisors on migration, agriculture and rural development
- Managers and technical staff in the ministries responsible for agriculture, rural development, migration, employment and others
- General public
- How climate change affects rural livelihoods, multiplies threats and drives migration.
- The importance of context in mobility responses to climate change and the challenges associated with predicting and communicating migration trends.
- The range of outcomes from climate related migration, from long term resilience, through to maladaptation
- The potential of remittances to meet basic needs, and enhance long-term resilience
- The social implications of migration on men, women and children
- The role of policy to create an enabling environment for migration as an adaptation
The course consists of 2 lessons of approximately 45 to 60 minutes duration each:
- Lesson 1 – Climate change, rural livelihoods and population movement
- Lesson 2 – Migration and adaptation to climate change
This course runs on the latest versions of the major browsers, such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox and Apple Safari.
The course opens in a separate popup window. If this does not happen, a popup blocker in the browser is probably preventing it from opening and you will need to disable popup blockers for this site. Please read the following instructions on how to do this.
This course offers certification. You will get your digital badge upon passing a final exam after completing the course and achieve a grade of at least 75%. Please click on the button below to complete the exam, or refer to our Certification section to learn more.
Evaluate this course
We would be pleased to receive your evaluation of this course, to support us in improving future e-learning courses. Please click on the button below to answer the questions in the form. It should only take you a few minutes!
This e-learning course was produced with financial support from IrishAid and FAO's Flexible Multi-Partner Mechanism (FMM) Resource Partners.