This two lesson course has been developed by FAO in partnership with the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) to help operators in the olive oil sector meet growing consumer demand in the challenging context of food safety crises and the COVID-19 pandemic.
It aims to help managers and staff of small and medium enterprises understand food safety concepts, good hygiene and manufacturing practices, and potential hazards, in order to prepare for and be able to manage crises and emergencies.
This e-learning course is intended for individuals involved in the olive oil value chain, including production, handling, storage, packaging and commercialization. Especially:
- Staff of olive oil mills
- Managers of olive oil mills
- Public authority officials
- Researchers and academics
- The importance and application of Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs), Good Hygiene Practices (GHPs) and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) in order to produce safe and authentic olive oil.
- The HACCP process and how its application helps maintain a proper and safe production system.
- The public health risks associated with emergency situations such as the COVID-19 pandemic.
- How to manage classic and emerging threats and consolidate food safety culture and resilience mechanisms to manage in the olive oil sector.
The course consists of 2 lessons, ranging from approximately 30 - 35 minutes duration each:
- Lesson 1 - Good agricultural, hygiene and manufacturing practices during olive oil production
- Lesson 2 - Increasing the olive oil sector’s resilience to health and safety challenges
This course runs on the latest versions of the major browsers, such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox and Apple Safari.
The course opens in a separate popup window. If this does not happen, a popup blocker in the browser is probably preventing it from opening and you will need to disable popup blockers for this site. Please read the following instructions on how to do this.
This course offers certification. You will get your digital badge upon passing a final exam after completing the course and achieving a grade of at least 75%. Please click on the button below to complete the exam, or refer to our Certification section to learn more.
Evaluate this course
We would be pleased to receive your evaluation of this course, to support us in improving future e-learning courses. Please click on the button below to answer the questions in the form. It should only take you a few minutes!