This course provides an overview of Foot-and-Mouth Disease (FMD) recognition in either a FMD-free country or in a country where the disease is endemic. It presents the clinical signs of FMD, as well as routes of transmission, diagnosis, control and prevention measures.
This e-learning course is intended for:
- Government veterinarians
- Private veterinarians
- Livestock industry members
- Veterinary students
- Importance of emergency preparedness for, and early detection of, FMD outbreaks.
- Pathogenesis of FMD, clinical signs, routes of transmission and outbreak investigation.
- Samples that should be collected to enable laboratory diagnosis of FMD.
- Biosecurity principles to reduce the risk of transmission.
- Control measures that would be applied in the event of an FMD outbreak.
- Lesson 1 – Significance: How important is FMD?
- Lesson 2 – Biosecurity: Starting with the end in mind
- Lesson 3 – Diagnosis: Is this FMD?
- Lesson 4 – The disease: Identifying the source and transmission
- Lesson 5 – Leaving the farm: Don’t be a carrier!
- Lesson 6 – Control strategies: What happens now?
This course runs on the latest versions of the major browsers, such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox and Apple Safari.
The course opens in a separate popup window. If this does not happen, a popup blocker in the browser is probably preventing it from opening and you will need to disable popup blockers for this site. Please read the following instructions on how to do this.
Evaluate this course
We would be pleased to receive your evaluation of this course, to support us in improving future e-learning courses. Please click on the button below to answer the questions in the form. It should only take you a few minutes!
Digital Badge Certification
To be granted a digital certification from the FAO elearning Academy, you will have to take the final evaluation exam after you’ve finished a course.
Our digital badge certifications verify that you have achieved the learning outcomes and competencies outlined in FAO e-learning courses.
According to the different learning path chosen at the beginning of the course, please click on one of the links below to start the test either for an FMD-free country, or an FMD-endemic country.