This course provides an overview of the legal and historical perspectives that led to the development of the Multilateral System of Access and Benefit-sharing (Multilateral System). It emphasizes the importance of the exchange and transfer of plant genetic resources in order to feed a growing global population. It also outlines the principles required to effectively plan, implement and operate the Multilateral System within a national context.
This e-learning course is suitable for all learner groups, especially newcomers to the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture. Primarily, this course targets:
- Policy-makers and their staff
- Civil servants
- Gene bank staff
- Plant breeders
- The rationale for the establishment of the Multilateral System of Access and Benefit-sharing (Multilateral System).
- The connection of the Multilateral System with the 2030 Development Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- The various multilateral benefit-sharing mechanisms enumerated in the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture.
- How the Standard Material Transfer Agreement (SMTA) functions and facilitates implementation of the Multilateral System.
- The various legal and practical measures that Contracting Parties have adopted in relation to implementation of the Multilateral System.
The course consists of 4 lessons of approximately 35-45 minutes duration each:
- Lesson 1 – Rationale, coverage and availability of material
- Lesson 2 – Access and benefit-sharing under the Multilateral System
- Lesson 3 – The Standard Material Transfer Agreement (SMTA)
- Lesson 4 – Facilitating implementation of the Multilateral System
This course runs on the latest versions of the major browsers, such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox and Apple Safari.
The course opens in a separate popup window. If this does not happen, a popup blocker in the browser is probably preventing it from opening and you will need to disable popup blockers for this site. Please read the following instructions on how to do this.
This course offers certification. You will get your digital badge upon passing a final exam after completing the course and achieving a grade of at least 75%. Please click on the button below to complete the exam, or refer to our Certification section to learn more.
Evaluate this course
We would be pleased to receive your evaluation of this course, to support us in improving future e-learning courses. Please click on the button below to answer the questions in the form. It should only take you a few minutes!