Risks in agriculture arise from a variety of sources. There are several risk management options that can be used to either mitigate, transfer or cope with risks in agriculture. Choosing the most appropriate tool depends on various factors such as type
of risk, tools availability, and level of responsibility. This course focuses on what can be done at the farm, local area/community, and national levels to manage risks in agriculture.
The target audience for this course includes:
- Farmers, farm management advisors, farmer organizations and communities;
- Policymakers and planners, and other government officials; and
- Service and input providers and other intermediaries dealing with agricultural risk management services.
- Providing the outline of main on-farm and off-farm Agriculture Risk Management (ARM) tools
- Describing the major production, finance, market, and government-support related ARM tools
- Identifying the suitability of these tools by them selves or in combination
- Identify the suitability of these tools alone or in combination for a given situation
- Appreciating the advantages and disadvantages of the ARM tools
The course consists of 11 sections:
- Tool 1: Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA)
- Tool 2: Agricultural Diversification
- Tool 3: Assets and Income Based Strategies
- Tool 4: Agricultural Insurance
- Tool 5: Weather Index-Based Insurance
- Tool 6: Agricultural Finance and Microfinance
- Tool 7: Contract Farming
- Tool 8: Commodity Exchanges and Futures Markets
- Tool 9: Warehouse Receipts System
- Tool 10: Public Foodgrain Reserves
- Tool 11: Disaster Assistance Programmes
- Tool 12: Social Protection and Productive Safety Nets
The online version of this course runs on the latest versions of the major browsers, such as Chrome, Safari, Edge and Firefox.
The downloadable version only runs on Windows PC’s and no additional software is needed.
This course offers certification. You will get your digital badge upon passing a final exam after completing the course and achieve a grade of at least 75%. please click on the button below to complete the exam, or refer to our Certification section to learn more.
Evaluate this course
We would be pleased to receive your evaluation of this course, to support us in improving future e-learning courses. Please click on the button below to answer the six questions in the form. It should take few minutes!