Sustainable and reliable national greenhouse gas inventories are essential instruments for assessing efforts to address climate change and progress made towards the goals of the Paris Agreement. They also are crucial for assessing the effectiveness of mitigation policies and measures; and making long-term emission projections. This course introduces basic concepts on Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV), United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) reporting requirements and the Enhanced Transparency Framework (ETF). It provides an overview of how to set up a national greenhouse gas inventory (NGHGI), looking at its cycle, main elements and principles, and the implications of the ETF.
The online version of this course runs on the latest versions of the major browsers, such as Chrome, Safari, Edge and Firefox.
The downloadable version only runs on Windows PC’s and no additional software is needed.
The course aims to support an integrated, multisectoral approach to rural poverty reduction, by improving the knowledge and capacities of a range of professionals, including:
- Policymakers, policy administrators and policy officers.
- Development practitioners.
- Members of civil society and rural organizations.
You will learn about
- Transparency and the reporting system under the UNFCCC.
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) guidelines for NGHGI.
- The Inventory cycle and the main elements and methodological requirements for preparing the NGHGI preparation.
The course consists of 2 lessons of 35 - 50 minutes duration each:
- Lesson 1 – Introduction to reporting requirements under UNFCCC and the Enhanced Transparency Framework
- Lesson 2 – The national greenhouse gas inventory
Digital Badge Certification
To be granted a digital certification from the FAO elearning Academy, you will have to take the final evaluation exam after you’ve finished a course.
Our digital badge certifications verify that you have achieved the learning outcomes and competencies outlined in FAO e-learning courses.
Please click the link below to start the test: