This course provides the necessary knowledge to build a sustainable National Greenhouse Gas Inventory (NGHGI) and assess greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and removals from the land use sector. It focuses on the biological and physical process that lead to GHG fluxes from land use-related activities.
The online version of this course runs on the latest versions of the major browsers, such as Chrome, Safari, Edge and Firefox.
The downloadable version only runs on Windows PC’s and no additional software is needed.
This course is designed for staff in relevant national agencies tasked with the preparation of the NGHGI for the Agricultural sector.
It is useful in strengthening institutional and technical capacities in national entities in meeting the enhanced transparency requirements of the Paris Agreement. It is also useful to those wishing to improve their knowledge on the UNFCCC reporting processes.
You will learn about
- The role and goals of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) guidelines for NGHGIs
- The inventory cycle and the main elements and principles for the preparation of GHG inventories
- Estimating GHG from the land use sector through a step by step process and applying your knowledge through exercises
- The methodological improvements between subsequent IPCC guidelines
The course consists of 11 lessons, ranging from approximately 40 to 100 minutes duration each:
- Lesson 1 – Introduction
- Lesson 2 – Land representation – Stratification
- Lesson 3 – Land representation - Methodological approach
- Lesson 4 – C pools – Living biomass and dead organic matter
- Lesson 5 – C pools – Soil organic matter in mineral soils
- Lesson 6 – C pools – Soil organic matter in organic soils
- Lesson 7 – C pools – Harvested wood products
- Lesson 8 – Land use category – Forest land
- Lesson 9 – Land use categories – Cropland and grassland
- Lesson 10 – Land use category – Wetlands
- Lesson 11 – Land use categories – Settlements and other land