This course explores the role of forests and trees in climate-smart agriculture (CSA). It takes into consideration the ecosystem services and goods that forests provide, and the importance of forests for the food security of forest-dependent people. It explores the complex relationship between climate change and forests, and how adaptation and mitigation measures can benefit forests, forest-dependent people, and global climate change. The synergies and trade-offs involved in climate-smart forest management are also considered.
This course addresses the subject matter from a technical perspective. It is designed for a range of stakeholders. Individuals who would especially benefit from taking this course include:
- Development practitioners and programme managers.
- Sectoral specialists and academics.
- Trainers and extension agents.
- Relevant concepts, especially sustainable forest management.
- Areas of intervention for climate smart forestry – livelihoods and food security, vulnerability and resilience and deforestation and forest degradation.
- The steps needed to integrate a climate-smart forestry approach into the plan and practices of any forest management unit.
- The role of forest monitoring and national forest monitoring systems.
- The elements that can create an enabling environment for the adoption of climate-smart forestry management practices and approaches.
The course consists of 4 lessons, ranging from approximately 30 to 35 minutes duration each:
- Lesson 1 – Introduction to climate-smart forestry
- Lesson 2 – Elements of climate-smart forestry
- Lesson 3 – Climate-smart forestry in practice
- Lesson 4 – Creating an enabling environment for climate-smart forestry
The online version of this course runs on the latest versions of the major browsers, such as Chrome, Safari, Edge and Firefox.
The downloadable version only runs on Windows PC’s and no additional software is needed.
This course offers certification. You will get your digital badge upon passing a final exam after completing the course and achieving a grade of at least 75%. Please click on the button below to complete the exam, or refer to our Certification section to learn more.
Evaluate this course
We would be pleased to receive your evaluation of this course, to support us in improving future e-learning courses. Please click on the button below to answer the questions in the form. It should only take you a few minutes!