This course aims to present the provision of farm mechanization services as a viable business opportunity, in an environmentally sensitive and responsible way. It introduces the benefits of mechanization for smallholder farmers, the role of hire services in farm mechanization and the characteristics of a hire service business, in the context of sustainable crop production and with a focus on Conservation Agriculture (CA).
This course is designed for a range of stakeholders with an interest in agricultural mechanization and the basics of running a hire service business. More specifically, the course is targeted towards:
- Smallholder farmers, farmers cooperatives and rural youth interested in becoming mechanization hire service entrepreneurs.
- Existing or new mechanization hire service providers along the food value chain.
- Mechanization and agri-business specialists.
- Staff from organizations, or farm machinery manufacturers and suppliers providing training in mechanization hire service provision.
- What it means to run a hire service business, the types of services it can offer, its benefits, and challenges.
- Importance of a feasibility study of the enterprise.
- Common equipment and tools, and recognize the potential contribution of Information Communication Technology (ICT).
The course consists of 2 lessons, ranging from approximately 30 minutes duration each:
- Lesson 1 - Sustainable Agricultural Mechanization for small-scale farmers
- Lesson 2 - Hire services as a business enterprise
The online version of this course runs on the latest versions of the major browsers, such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox and Apple Safari.
The downloadable version only runs on Windows PC’s and no additional software is needed.
This course offers certification. You will get your digital badge upon passing a final exam after completing the course and achieving a grade of at least 75%. Please click on the button below to complete the exam, or refer to our Certification section to learn more.
Evaluate this course
We would be pleased to receive your evaluation of this course, to support us in improving future e-learning courses. Please click on the button below to answer the questions in the form. It should only take you a few minutes!