This course offers an overview of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) as a global threat to human, animal and environmental health, and explains the role of the food and agriculture sector, and the impact of AMR on agrifood systems. It also describes how the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is contributing to increased awareness and engagement of all stakeholders in the food and agriculture sector, to tackle AMR.
This course is designed for a range of stakeholders with a role and interest in antimicrobial resistance in food and agriculture, including:
- producers and wholesale and retail distributors of antimicrobials;
- extension and veterinary services, epidemiologists, laboratory personnel and academia , including students; and
- government officials, policy-makers, food safety officers and the private sector.
- General principles of the emergence and spread of AMR in agrifood systems
- Relevance and impacts of AMR in the food and agriculture sector
- The potential role of governments, farmers, animal health professionals, industry and other key stakeholders in AMR mitigation
- The role and current initiatives of FAO in tackling AMR and the FAO Action Plan on AMR 2021-2025
The course consists of 5 lessons, ranging from approximately 30 to 40 minutes duration each:
- Lesson 1 - What is antimicrobial resistance and why is it a global public health challenge
- Lesson 2 - Antimicrobial resistance in the context of One Health
- Lesson 3 - The role of food and agriculture stakeholders in antimicrobial resistance
- Lesson 4 - How can antimicrobial resistance be contained and its impacts minimized in food and agriculture
- Lesson 5 - The role and current initiatives of FAO in tackling antimicrobial resistance
This course runs on the latest versions of the major browsers, such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox and Apple Safari.
The course opens in a separate popup window. If this does not happen, a popup blocker in the browser is probably preventing it from opening and you will need to disable popup blockers for this site. Please read the following instructions on how to do this.
This course offers certification. You will get your digital badge upon passing a final exam after completing the course and achieve a grade of at least 75%. please click on the button below to complete the exam, or refer to our Certification section to learn more.
Evaluate this course
We would be pleased to receive your evaluation of this course, to support us in improving future e-learning courses. Please click on the button below to answer the six questions in the form. It should take few minutes!