This is the third in a series of courses designed to provide a diverse audience with the approaches, methods and tools necessary to integrate social dimensions into the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of agrifood investments. This course aims to assist social analysts/field practitioners in generating primary data, using qualitative methods that can help to draw a detailed picture of the local social context where investments are being planned or implemented. It also explains what information would typically need to be collected through field visits at district and community levels, and how to collect and analyse it to meet the immediate needs of a mission’s objectives.
This course targets social analysts and field practitioners working on field missions. It will also be helpful to anyone interested in learning about the key principles of collecting social analysis data in the field, to support inclusive and sustainable investments in agrifood systems.
- Ways to conduct social analysis in the context of agrifood investments using a conceptual framework of analysis.
- Ways to review secondary data sources in preparation for a mission.
- Ways to collect qualitative data during field work following key methodological principles.
- Ways to hold multistakeholder consultations for further data collection and field work preparation.
- Ways to collect information in the field through district and community meetings, focus groups and household interviews, using checklists.
There are four lessons in this course, lasting approximately from 40 and 60 minutes:
- Lesson 1 – Social analysis in the context of agrifood investment
- Lesson 2 – Planning and preparing for field missions
- Lesson 3 – Conducting district-level field work
- Lesson 4 – Conducting community-level field work
This course runs on the latest versions of the major browsers, such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox and Apple Safari.
The course opens in a separate popup window. If this does not happen, a popup blocker in the browser is probably preventing it from opening and you will need to disable popup blockers for this site. Please read the following instructions on how to do this.
This course offers certification. You will get your digital badge upon passing a final exam after completing the course and achieving a grade of at least 75%. Please click on the button below to complete the exam, or refer to our Certification section to learn more.
Evaluate this course
We would be pleased to receive your evaluation of this course, to support us in improving future e-learning courses. Please click on the button below to answer the questions in the form. It should only take you a few minutes!