This course describes the goals and purpose of a national forest inventory (NFI) and explores how NFIs inform policy- and decision-making in the forest sector. It then explores the importance of data in forest-related decision-making and evaluates the contribution of NFIs in national, international and climate change data reporting mechanisms.
This course is primarily intended for people who are involved in NFIs but can be taken by anyone with an interest in the subject. Specifically, this course targets:
- Forestry technicians
- National forest monitoring teams
- Foresters and forestry students
- Decision-makers planning investments for implementing NFIs
- Goals, purpose and nature of an NFI.
- How an NFI relates to a national forest management system (NFMS).
- Sustainable forest management.
- Criteria, indicators and variables in NFI data.
- Forest monitoring and climate change reporting.
The course consists of 4 lessons, of approximately 30 mins duration each:
- Lesson 1 - NFI: Definition and goals
- Lesson 2 - Better NFI data, better decision-making?
- Lesson 3 - Common information and reporting
- Lesson 4 - NFI contributions to international reporting processes and the climate change agenda
This course runs on the latest versions of the major browsers, such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox and Apple Safari.
The course opens in a separate popup window. If this does not happen, a popup blocker in the browser is probably preventing it from opening and you will need to disable popup blockers for this site. Please read the following instructions on how to do this.
This series offers certification. You will get your digital badge upon passing a final exam, that comprises questions based on the content of all eight courses of the series, with a score of at least 75%. Please click on the button below to start the
exam, or refer to our Certification section to learn more.
Evaluate this course
We would be pleased to receive your evaluation of this course, to support us in improving future e-learning courses. Please click on the button below to answer the questions in the form. It should only take you a few minutes!